09 July 2014

Finding Time



"Finding time" is something I think most people struggle with.  It doesn't matter if you are an eager college freshman, an overworked medicine resident, a single 30-something, or parent of one, two, or three kids.  You may think the grass is greener in someone else's yard, but chances are, they are struggling to fit it all in, too.

Kiki and me on our way home from river rafting.

I have definitely needed adjustment to being a stay-at-home mom.  Once, a highly organized, punctual, put-together healthcare professional, I sometimes struggle with the simpler (yet more chaotic) life I am currently living.  Nothing could prepare me for being a mom, but I constantly remind myself how lucky I am to be able to be at home with Kiki each day.  My priorities have changed and I am learning to let go of things I used to think were important.  I am learning to slow down and love the sweet, innocent, simple moments as my daughter learns about the world around her.

The simple things...playing in a bucket of water.

For Kiki and me, learning our new day-to-day life together has been the easy part.  The hard part is carving out time for me alone, and for Dan and me together.  I am sure every couple vows to make time for one another "after the baby is born."  We did.  But, we find that most times there aren't enough hours in a day.

Our last photo together...I had an eye infection two weeks ago and
Dan lovingly brought home an eye patch for me.  Argh!

We are consciously trying to regain some of that time together and apart that doesn't consist of watching (amazing) HBO series (Game of Thrones, anyone?).  Dan recently bought a mountain bike and has been fitting in a 30 minute ride on these long summer nights.  I have a babysitter come for 4 hours a week and I am trying schedule things other than errands during that time.  I got a pedicure last week.  Right now, our together time is mostly consisting of a nice dinner with wine on our new patio.  But, our list includes a fly fishing date, mountain biking together and a few fun dinners (an Idaho Humane Society gala in July and a Peaceful Belly Farm Dinner in August).

Wine tasting in Oregon.

Finding time is an evolving skill throughout life.  Some times are easier than others, but what's important is to stay on track and maintain a balanced life.  Priorities change and we must remain flexible, understanding and supportive of ourselves and the people in our lives.  I am lucky to have a husband who supports me and encourages me to stay balanced.

No comments: